Interview on Little Red's Book Reviews

SPECIAL GUEST AUTHOR MARIE LAVENDER

I would like to thank Marie Lavender for letting me interview her and share here on Little Red's Book Reviews.




I would love to have pictures of your books I know you write different genre's. The one I know about is Upon Your Return. I would also like to know about you.
Would like the blurb to Upon Your Return? Also an author's picture.




Blurb:

Fara Bellamont has been back in society for a year after leaving Cluny Abbey, where her uncle sent her long ago. When he chooses a suitor for her for marriage, she fears that she will be forced to marry a stranger and live a miserable life. But, Fara finds herself thrust into an adventure of a lifetime when unforeseen circumstances cause her to place her trust in a strange man for protection. His intervention not only saves her, but puts her in an even more compromising position. Grant Hill, a trading captain, is enchanted by the young heiress not only because of her beauty, but because she is hardly conventional. Underneath her ladylike exterior lies a tigress. Grant cannot help but offer his protection as she is in need and he is far from immune from her charms. Fara just never bargained on the passion that she feels for Grant Hill. As events unfold, she must decide whether her desires and the dictates of her heart should trump the rules of society…

Tell me a little about yourself!

I have been writing stories since I was nine years old. I published a couple of stories in a university publication in 2005, but didn’t officially publish a book until 2010. Since then, I have published seventeen books in the various genres of literary fiction, mystery and romance. I mainly write romance novels. I have written contemporary romance, paranormal romance, romantic suspense and historical romance.

What interested you that you got into writing?

I’m not really sure what started it other than my wild imagination. I had lots of stories going through my head as a child, and eventually I decided to write them down. I always loved reading. I used to sneak and read with a small light at bedtime when I was really supposed to be asleep. So I suppose it was a combination of imagination and a great love of books that began this journey.

I see that you write different genres. What is your favorite genre to write?

Wow. Hard question there. I prefer to write romance. As for subgenres of romance, it is hard for me to decide between contemporary and historical romance, though I have always loved the times when men were still gentlemen and women were ladies. There is something very appealing about the Regency era for me. In fact, I wouldn’t mind traveling back in time to experience it.

What is your favorite to read and did that lead you into writing more of that genre?
 
My current obsession is paranormal romance. I have loads of vampire books stacked up on my floor. I have a few vampire stories in progress, but they are not ready yet. I also love witch stories so I have a few of those. In fact, I just got a contract for a paranormal romance recently. That should be out next year hopefully. It is titled “Magick & Moonlight”.

How many books have you written? 

As of this moment, I have written 17 books.

Which one is your favorite? Why?

Oh, you had to ask me that! LOL. Right now, my favorite is Leather and Lace. It was recently released under Erica Sutherhome. It is a very hot romantic suspense about a cop who stumbles across a stripper at a crime scenes and he pursues her. He senses she is in trouble, but she won’t tell him the truth. So, what is a man to do but get involved with her to figure out what’s going on?

Do you have different pen names? Are the different cause they are different genre's? What made you choose the pen names you picked?

Yes, I have used a few pen names. My first three books were literary fiction/poetry so I used my real name. When I released my next book, a romantic mystery, I decided to use a pen name. Erica Sutherhome was born. I released several after that under the same pen name. I did a paranormal thriller at some point under Kathryn Layne in the hopes of separating my paranormal books from the rest. I went back to Erica Sutherhome for the next few books. When Upon Your Return was released, I used Marie Lavender because it was a historical romance. And, of course, I used Erica Sutherhome again recently with Leather and Lace. The truth is that I have grown tired of using so many names, however, and I have decided to stick with Marie Lavender from now on. It is also a name that means a lot to me as it is a family name. In this vein, I will re-release all of my previous books under that name. My first three books will be released soon as an anthology titled Miss Lavender’s Anthology of Ramblings.

When writing how do you come up with the plot? Do you plan the book out as far as which directions things go or is it just natural go with the flow sort of thing? 

I think I use both techniques. When I am just starting an idea, it is very casual. I have a general idea of the plot, but I don’t know all of the angles yet. When I really focus on something, that’s when all of the interesting stuff happens. I get more organized and do more planning. But, the scenes also seem to flow naturally.

Is there a way you come up with the characters name?

I have always been pretty bad with coming up with new names. Sometimes I will use a name and substitute something else later. With Upon Your Return and Leather and Lace, I already knew what the names of the main characters would be ahead of time. Occasionally, I still struggle with ideas and it will be ‘he or she’ until I can come up with something better. I also try to fit the character with a name that sounds right. For minor characters, I don’t worry too much about it unless location or history depends on it.

What makes you choose the location the book takes place? Do they have significant meaning to you? 

I think location is pretty important. Readers need those details to really see a place. I did a lot of research for Upon Your Return to try to tie it down to specific locations. I did the same for Leather and Lace. It was set in Boston so I had to put my thinking hat on. The crime occurred in Beacon Hill so I had to set everything close to it. I also wanted it to be realistic so I used actual places and went from there.

Is Upon Your Return your only Historical Romance? If so are you going to write more Historical Romance books?

No. It’s my only published one right now, but I have plans for many others. I have a whole list of historical romances in the works on my website. Upon Your Return is book one of the Heiresses in Love series, which is actually a trilogy. Upon Your Honor is the second book. I am polishing the manuscript right now to send to my publisher. As aforementioned, I have a lot of historical romances planned. Some are Regency, some western, and some are even paranormal in nature.

Would love to have your author links and buy links if possible if not I can look them up. Also if you have Goodreads that link as well.


AUTHOR LINKS

http://www.marielavender.webs.com/
http://marielavenderbooks.blogspot.com/
http://marielavender.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/MarieAnnLavender
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Upon-Your-Return/221212331354873
https://twitter.com/marielavender1
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/marie-lavender/27/187/10a


http://www.amazon.com/Marie-Lavender/e/B00C10Q94I/


http://www.amazon.com/Erica-Sutherhome/e/B009HLFMHY/


http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Lace-Erica-Sutherhome-ebook/dp/B00GV2W9BE/


http://www.amazon.com/Kathryn-Layne/e/B009HLIAJG/


http://www.amazon.com/Heather-Crouse/e/B0049E42M0/


GOODREADS LINKS

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6938764.Marie_Lavender
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6453016.Erica_Sutherhome
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6453024.Kathryn_Layne
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4427879.Heather_Crouse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break from MLB

Yes, readers, that's right. I'm on hiatus for a while. I know I haven't posted for a bit, and that's really the reason why I...