Character Interview on Christi Williams' Blog

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10, 2013

UPON YOUR RETURN

http://writerchristi.blogspot.com/2013/09/upon-your-return.html?m=1

Tuesday Tantalizers is pleased to welcome Marie Lavender, interviewing her character Lina Devereux, the aunt of Fara Bellamont from her historical romance, Upon Your Return. Some Like it Hotter is all yours, Marie!

How do you feel about being a character in a book?

I haven’t thought much about it.  I simply live my life.  When Marie approached us about writing the book, I was astonished.  I could not image what would make her want to write about my family.  But, I believe the book turned out well.

Who is the most interesting secondary character you’ve met and why?

Eric Caron, Captain Hill’s valet, has been very kind, very generous to my family.  He has certainly gone beyond the bounds of his station, and he has never asked for anything in return.  He is a good man and I am proud to be acquainted with him.

If you could change one thing that the author wrote about your life, what would it be?

I always wanted to go on adventures.  I wish there was more embellishment about my life sometimes in the book.  But, then I realize that I would change nothing.  I am where God placed me.  I had certain experiences in my life, actually a bit of adventure in a way, and I was able to tell the author all of that.  She has promised to include some of those experiences in the third book.  I am happy that my story will finally be told.

What’s your favorite pastime?

Knitting.

Who is your favorite relative and why?

My niece, Fara.  She has more courage than I could ever hope to have.  I wish I could throw off the reins of society as she has done now and then.  I know that has also made her life more difficult, but I respect her need for it.

Do you have any pets?  If not, which pet would you choose to own if you could?

I do not have a pet.  I might choose a small dog, perhaps a Pomeranian.

If you could change one thing about another character in the book, who and what would it be?

I wish Captain Hill could contain his desire for my niece.  I certainly respect the man, but it could become a problem.

What makes you happiest?

I love having a family to be with.

What annoys you the most?

I do not take it well when people spread rumors, especially about anyone I love.

Some Like It Hotter: Back to Marie, tell us a bit about Upon Your Return.



Fara Bellamont has been back in society for a year after leaving Cluny Abbey, where her uncle sent her long ago. When he chooses a suitor for her for marriage, she fears that she will be forced to marry a stranger and live a miserable life. But, Fara finds herself thrust into an adventure of a lifetime when unforeseen circumstances cause her to place her trust in a strange man for protection. His intervention not only saves her, but puts her in an even more compromising position. Grant Hill, a trading captain, is enchanted by the young heiress not only because of her beauty, but because she is hardly conventional. Underneath her ladylike exterior lies a tigress. Grant cannot help but offer his protection as she is in need and he is far from immune from her charms. Fara just never bargained on the passion that she feels for Grant Hill. As events unfold, she must decide whether her desires and the dictates of her heart should trump the rules of society…



How about an excerpt?

She sipped a little wine as she glanced around the room. Couples danced once more, and the music was perfect for the usual waltz. As her gaze wandered, one figure caught her eye.

The woman looked splendid in a gown of crimson velvet, which showed off her bosom well. She was much older than Fara, yet still beautiful. Seated across the room, she had no companions at her side, but her appearance and obvious status certainly warranted otherwise. Her hair was brown and her eyes were blue. Fara glanced over at Michel de Bellamont, who leisurely sipped wine. He stared at the woman with a look of disdain. “Oncle?”

He turned to his niece. “Oui?”

“Do you know that woman? What is her name?”

"Tis' Madame Devereux, Fara. She has been a widow since you were a child…”

Mockery laced his tone. Fara lifted a brow. “Should I recognize her?”

“No, I do not see why you should. You may have seen her when you were much younger, but that was too long ago.”

She frowned. “Do you know her, oncle?”

“I knew her once. It's been awhile.”

“But…” The look he shot in her direction warned Fara she risked his wrath by pursuing this curiosity. She closed her mouth and looked away. For a few moments, she was content to watch the couples on the floor. Then she grew restless and wondered what her potential suitors were so afraid of, they would not approach and ask her to dance.

“Mademoiselle, you are indeed the picture of innocence and beauty this night.”

Fara looked up into the handsome features of Grant Hill. He was dressed in somber black, yet still contrived to look better than the other gents in the room. She flushed at his compliment, but did not look away.

“Merci, Capitaine,” she said softly.

“It would be a great honor, Monsieur, if you would allow me a dance with your niece,” he asked her uncle while keeping his gaze fixed on her.

She looked at her uncle, who was obviously weighing the consequences of the decision in his intelligent mind.
“Twill' be all right, oncle. I will not make a scene of it.”

He nodded grimly. “Very well, Capitaine Hill. I expect Fara back at my side in one piece.”

“Oui, Monsieur,” he replied as he pulled Fara to her feet and led her to the floor. Grant led her through the steps as they danced and occasionally glanced over at her uncle, whose gaze bore into them as though he feared Grant might steal her away at any moment. “Is he concerned about me or merely the population of gents requesting your company at this ball?” he quipped softly.

She sighed. “He is not an easy man, Capitaine--”

“Grant,” he corrected.

“Grant…I do not understand him. He has not allowed me one dance tonight except for this--”

“No one else has asked, Mademoiselle,” he reminded her.

Her eyes flew to his face and she wondered just how long he'd been observing her before he'd sauntered over.

Marie, please tell us where we can buy Upon Your Return.

http://www.amazon.com/Upon-Your-Return-Marie-Lavender/dp/1484978099/
http://store.solsticepublishing.com/upon-your-return/
https://www.createspace.com/4284739

And give us a little information about yourself.

Marie Lavender lives in the Midwest with her family and three cats. She has been writing for over twenty years. She has more works in progress than she can count on two hands.

At the tender age of nine, she began writing stories. Her imagination fueled a lot of her early child's play. Even growing up, she entered writing contests and received a certificate for achieving the second round in one. She majored in Creative Writing in college because that was all she ever wanted - to be a writer. While there, she published two works in a university publication, and was a copy editor on the staff of an online student journal. After graduating from college, she sought out her dream to publish a book.

Since then, Marie has published sixteen books. Marie Lavender's real love is writing romances, but she has also written mysteries, literary fiction and dabbled a little in paranormal stories. Most of her works have a romantic element involved in them. Upon Your Return is her first historical romance novel. Feel free to visit her website at http://marielavender.webs.com/ for further information about her books and her life. Marie is also on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

A list of her books and pen names are as follows:

Marie Lavender: Upon Your Return

Erica Sutherhome: Hard to Get; Memories; A Hint of Scandal; Without You; Strange Heat; Terror in the Night; Haunted; Pursuit; Perfect Game; A Touch of Dawn; Ransom

Kathryn Layne: A Misplaced Life

Heather Crouse: Express Café and Other Ramblings; Ramblings, Musings and Other Things; Soulful Ramblings and Other Worldly Things

Where can we find out more about Marie Lavender?

http://www.marielavender.webs.com/
http://marielavenderbooks.blogspot.com/
http://marielavender.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/marie.lavender.58
https://www.facebook.com/MarieAnnLavender
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Upon-Your-Return/221212331354873
https://twitter.com/marielavender1
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6938764.Marie_Lavender
http://www.amazon.com/Marie-Lavender/e/B00C10Q94I/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break from MLB

Yes, readers, that's right. I'm on hiatus for a while. I know I haven't posted for a bit, and that's really the reason why I...