A HINT OF SCANDAL excerpt on Eat Sleep Write

*This posted here yesterday, but I will post it below as well.

A Hint of Scandal - An Excerpt by Erica Sutherhome

September 29, 2013



Payton rounded the hospital bed.  Bruce lay back on the pillows, resting, his lashes like fans on his cheeks.  She shook her head at the weird sensation in her chest.  It was tight and it ached.  The press of tears came in the back of her throat.

“You look about as good as I feel.”

He was awake.  His dark hair was mussed attractively and his dark eyes were watching her closely.  She smiled at him.  “That may be the case.”

“Did someone look at that?”  He gestured to her head.

“Sure.  Nothing major.  It will heal.”

“No concussion?”

She shook her head, shrugged.  “Not yet.”

He frowned.  “You should be at home resting.”

“And you should stop telling me what to do.”

           He only chuckled, then held the bandage over his wound as if had pained him to laugh.

            Payton shook her head.  "I'm so sorry about this whole thing."

            "It's not your fault.  Everyone makes mistakes."  Bruce frowned slightly.  "Maybe you didn't realize how dangerous it was."

            "No.  I was too stubborn to realize I was in over my head."  She looked down at her hands, the smoke still settled on them.  "You risked your life for my stupidity.  I ruined your life.  You were shot.”

                "Payton, stop.  Stop all of this."  He sighed.  "You used to act rich and spoiled.  The minute I was shot, you were there for me.  You didn't care about yourself at all.  You're the one who risked your life.  To tell me that you'd fallen for me before I died.  To pull me from a burning building alone.  I was shot, yes.  I won't lie to you.  It hurts like hell.  But, I’m alive.  And wounds heal, you know.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break from MLB

Yes, readers, that's right. I'm on hiatus for a while. I know I haven't posted for a bit, and that's really the reason why I...