Interview on Best Seller Books List

*This originally posted here, but I will post it below as well.

AUTHOR INTERVIEW:

MARIE LAVENDER

Featuring: Upon Your Return book
 uyreturnFara Bellamont has been back in society for a year after leaving Cluny Abbey, where her uncle sent her long ago. When he chooses a suitor for her for marriage, she fears that she will be forced to marry a stranger and live a miserable life. But, Fara finds herself thrust into an adventure of a lifetime when unforeseen circumstances cause her to place her trust in a strange man for protection. His intervention not only saves her, but puts her in an even more compromising position. Grant Hill, a trading captain, is enchanted by the young heiress not only because of her beauty, but because she is hardly conventional. Underneath her ladylike exterior lies a tigress. Grant cannot help but offer his protection as she is in need and he is far from immune from her charms. Fara just never bargained on the passion that she feels for Grant Hill. As events unfold, she must decide whether her desires and the dictates of her heart should trump the rules of society…

1.     Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am a romance author.  I have published contemporary romances, historical romance, romantic suspense and paranormal romance.  I have been writing since I was a kid.  I have 16 books published.

2.      Do you have a day job as well? 

Yes.  Right now, I am working as an appointment setter for an entertainment company.  I book auditions.

3.      When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?

I started writing at the age of nine.  I finished my first book in the third grade.  We had to do an assignment for class.  So, that was technically my first book.  Would I ever publish it?  No.  I did officially publish a book for the first time in 2010.  It was an anthology titled Express CafĂ© and Other Ramblings.  I released many books after that.  My current release, a historical romance titled Upon Your Return, was a very long project that started in 2002 and was completely finished in 2011.

4.      How did you choose the genre you write in?

I believe it chose me.  I was always fascinated with love stories, whether they were in books or films.  I started really reading the genre when I was a teenager and haven’t stopped since.  I have branched to a lot of different subgenres since then, but my love of romance has never faltered.

5.      Do you work with an outline, or just write?

A bit of both, actually.  When I first have an idea, I just write as much as I can.  At some point, I realize I need to focus on a single project.  So, I start writing a basic outline.  The outline becomes more detailed, of course, as I go along.  When I start my research, I keep myself organized with that as well.  Having that outline really helps when you not only need to keep focused, but also when you’re writing a synopsis.

6.      Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult? 

There are many books I was influenced by.  Catherine Coulter’s Devil’s Embrace, Shirlee Busbee’s While Passion Sleeps and Rosemary Rogers’ Sweet Savage Love made me fall in love with historical romance. 

7.      Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
Fifteen of my books are self-published.  Perfecting them was the hard part.  With my current release Upon Your Return, which is traditionally published, I had a lot more hurdles to jump.  It took me awhile to polish that as well.  Then I spent a year sending it to literary agents and publishers, but to no avail.  It is a competitive industry.  Finally, I was accepted by a publisher and here I am.

8.      Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?

I would say Upon Your Return is based heavily on my own romantic experiences.  The dating world is treacherous.  Sometimes you have to go through some bad eggs before you find the one that is right for you.

9.      What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

*Blush.  The love scenes were pretty fun to write.  Everything seemed to come to me naturally.

10.  Will you have a new book coming out soon?

I have an anthology I hope to release before the end of the year.  It will be titled Miss Lavender’s Anthology of Ramblings.  I am also polishing the sequel to Upon Your Return so I hope to have that out sometime next year.

 Facebook: Upon Your Return 
Twitter: @marielavender1

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break from MLB

Yes, readers, that's right. I'm on hiatus for a while. I know I haven't posted for a bit, and that's really the reason why I...