My Love of Paranormal Romance

*This was originally posted on Joanne Troppello's Authors Corner, but I will post it below as well.

 
Picture
Please help me welcome author Marie Lavender to The Author's Corner today.

My Love of Paranormal RomanceBy, Marie Lavender

 
Ah, paranormal romance.  My love of paranormal romances began at the age of thirteen. I got a book from the library called Silver Kiss. It was about a girl who meets a vampire.  Of course, the romantic in me loved the story. My tastes have, of course, evolved since then. I still love reading paranormal romances. Pretty much anything appeals to me – love stories about witches, vampires, shifters, angels, demons and ghosts. You name it, and I’ll probably like it if it’s told well.

Some of my favorite authors are J.R. Ward, Kerrelyn Sparks and P.C. Cast. I have recently picked up some new ones like Chloe Neill and Linda Lee Williams, and I have a lot more on my wish list. 

I have always watched a lot of movies and TV shows that are related to this genre. I grew up on episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. I have evolved to Grimm and Supernatural, and movies like Underworld. I never read the Twilight series, but I watched the films.

I am a picky reader. I want “love” to have a strong element in the supernatural. So, I can lose interest fast in things that get far too gory. However, if something has a great story line and a developing relationship between a couple, it has won me over.  I suppose I believe in the unexplained. And I believe that everyone has a right to happiness, even if they have strange powers. Well, that’s the romantic in me, I guess. I doubt that will ever change. 

I have even attempted to write paranormal romances. My third book, Soulful Ramblings and Other Worldly Things, contained some paranormal stories. There was one about a couple who knew each other in a past life, if that qualifies. There was one about a man who could hear the thoughts of others. There was also one about a woman who fell in love with an alien. Heck, there was even one about a woman who receives a strange package in the mail, a statue with inexplicable powers. The list goes on. 

Six books later, I attempted it once more. Terror in the Night was born, a book about two people who have had the same recurring nightmare. They quickly realize it is more than a coincidence, that there are darker forces surrounding them.  After three more books, I published A Misplaced Life. This was told from the perspective of a spirit who wanted vengeance for her murder. Needless to say, that was pretty interesting to write.   

Since then, I have attempted more. I recently submitted a manuscript to a publisher. It was a paranormal short story. I have works in progress that you might consider paranormal romance. I won’t get into too much detail because of possible spoilers, but I have two vampire romances planned and several books about witches in the works. I have other paranormal stories as well. Some are even dystopian. 

I write about whatever comes to me. Though my focus recently has been historical romance, don’t be surprised
if you see a book or story pop up occasionally with paranormal elements. I can’t exactly avoid it.  

What’s out there these days is so diverse. It is hard not to respect writers who can make the most horrific creatures seem attractive. I hope I can measure up to their examples. 
And who doesn’t love a good romance? Especially when combined with the paranormal.   

Marie, thank you for sharing your journey with us. I also grew up watching Buffy and Angel. Right now, my two favorite paranormal shows I watch are Vampire Diaries and Witches of East End.

Picture
Let's meet Marie Lavender...

Marie has published Express Café and Other Ramblings; Ramblings, Musings and Other Things; Soulful Ramblings and Other Worldly Things; Hard to Get; Memories; A Hint of
Scandal
; Without You; Strange Heat; Terror in the Night; Haunted; Pursuit; A Misplaced Life; Perfect Game; A Touch of Dawn; Ransom and Upon Your Return.

You can connect with Marie online here:

Marie's Website
Marie's Book Blog
Marie's Blog - Writing in the Modern Age
Connect with Marie on Facebook
Upon Your Return Facebook Page
Connect with Marie on Twitter
Connect with Marie on LinkedIn
Connect with Marie on Google +
Find Marie Lavender on Amazon
Books on Amazon written as Erica Sutherhome
Books on Amazon written as Kathryn Layne
Books on Amazon written as Heather Crouse
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break from MLB

Yes, readers, that's right. I'm on hiatus for a while. I know I haven't posted for a bit, and that's really the reason why I...