Exclusive Interview with Vivienne Vincent

Today, we're doing something a little different. This is our 21st guest author interview on the Marie Lavender's Books! blog, and fellow author Vivienne Vincent is visiting us.


Hello! :)

 

 

 
Hi. Thank you for having me today.

 
 


 



Oh, it's my pleasure! 
 
Can you tell us a little bit about your book? When did it come out and where can we get it?


http://bookgoodies.com/a/B01IG97RCU




Dandelions is a romance and it’s my first published work. It came out quite recently, on July 14, 2016. It’s a fairy tale for adults. It’s the story of Izzy and Saber. Saber is not exactly a hero in the traditional sense of the word. He is our Prince Charming but he is also the evil wizard. I will let the readers decide. 

It’s available on Amazon.
 

Fascinating!

So, did anything prompt this book? Something that inspired you?


Like the blurb says, “There are no Rhett Butlers and Darcys in real life. Only Heathcliffs.” I remember reading Wuthering Heights when I was young. I had read Pride and Prejudice and Gone with the Wind before. Even though I don’t think I fell in love with Heathcliff the way I fell for Darcy and Rhett, Heathcliff was far more intriguing. I read the book several times and I could not get over his enigmatic charm. So that’s where the inspiration for Saber’s character came from.

Also, I think a lot of women meet so many jerks. They break us and walk away and we are left wondering if they will ever realize the damage that they did. And whether they will regret and try to make up for their sins. Unfortunately, most of them are completely devoid of a conscience.

So I wanted to create a character that is flawed but has the ability to fall in love and improve himself.
 

Sounds great! And what girl doesn't want the bad boy to reform at some point?
  
So...when did you know you wanted to write?  Or has it always been a pastime of yours?

I never thought about writing until quite recently. Writing is hard work and I have always been too lazy. To tell you the truth, Dandelions is the result of four years of unemployment.
 
LOL. It's true writing is a lot of work, but it's great that you turned an unfortunate experience into something positive. :)


Let's try another question, all right?

Do you have any favorite authors, Vivienne?


I read a lot of non-fiction. When it starts to feel too much, I switch to romance. I like reading Harlequin books. They have a lot of amazing writers.

I recently read Nora Roberts’ Impulse. I really liked it. It was perfect for me because when I read fiction, I prefer not to read lengthy works.
 

Oh, no, she didn't...Nora is one of my favorite authors! You have great taste. ;)
 
So, we're curious about something.

Do you write in a specific place? Or time of day?


Dandelions was written at night. All of it. But I don’t think that I should continue writing at night, because it takes a toll on your health. I am not a morning person so I plan to start writing in the afternoon. There is a coffee shop near my house which I really like. I think I will start going there regularly. I don’t know why but coffee shops inspire a lot of creativity.
 
You're right about that! And I really can't blame you. I used to write at night a lot as well...

Vivienne, are there any words you'd like to impart to fellow writers? Any advice?
 
Speaking from my own experience, I will have to say:

1. Try to be a plotter not a pantser. When I started writing Dandelions, all I had was Saber Fergus. That became a problem because the process of editing and rewriting was nerve-wracking. I am glad I got to work with Debbie Rowe who held my hand through the process with amazing patience. 

2. Be yourself. Nurture your own unique style.

3. Sometimes we have really funny and smart bits that we want to include in the story, but don’t force them in. I know it’s painful, but let it go.

4. Be patient. Be persistent. If you get stuck, leave everything and spend time in nature. Inspiration comes at random moments. Just make a note in your phone and add it to the story later.

5. When you write something you want to sell, don’t write it for yourself. Stories belong to readers not writers, which goes for anything fan-based. 

6. Set realistic goals. Don’t expect your first book to sell a million copies. Be prepared to deal with hostility and criticism. As a writer, you have to have a thick skin. Learn to face unfair criticism and rejection. Don’t let these things discourage you to the point that you give up.

7. And last but not least, be prepared to put up with the bout of depression that follows the completion of the creative task.
 
Wow, such great advice. Thank you!
 
I have to agree with several of these points. Yes, it's hard to say goodbye to characters once you've been with them for so long...:(
 
And thanks so much for stopping by, Vivienne! It was such a pleasure to have you here.  :)
 
Readers, here is the blurb for Dandelions.
 
http://bookgoodies.com/a/B01IG97RCU
 
“There are no Rhett Butlers and Darcys in real life. Only Heathcliffs.”

An avant-garde romance that goes beyond sexual chemistry and digs deep into human nature and relationships.
Elizabeth Goodenough met Saber Fergus for the first time when she was eight and he was twelve. He broke her heart when she was eighteen. Ten years later, an unwitting mistake on Izzy’s part once again brings her face to face with the same one-night stand that once brutally crushed her.
But something seems different this time. Has her dark knight really transformed into a knight in shining armor, or is he playing her all over again?
 

Here is an excerpt.


At this point, Saber cracked a crooked grin and asked, “What’s his name?”
His flat voice became ebullient. His mischievous smile created subtle wrinkles around his deep-set, ebony eyes. They were shining far more brightly than the stars I spent hours staring at trying to figure out which ones were my parents.
“I haven’t named him yet. I got him only about a week ago. I am still thinking of a name.”
“Got him or stole him? Just like you were trying to steal our flowers.”
He was teasing me and it was working.
“You cannot steal flowers. Flowers belong to Mother Earth and Mother Earth belongs to all of us.”
“This part of Mother Earth belongs to me, so I own everything in here including wicked little girls with their hideous looking sons of bitches.”
The way that stiff-necked boy retaliated right away, it became clear that he was not someone easy to take down.
He continued. “So since both of you belong to me, why don’t I name him for you? Dandelion. How is it?”
“Dandelion?” The name made me smile. “I like it. I will call him Dandelion. Now he has an actual name. Grandma says once you have a name, you become a real person. Dandelion too is a real person now.”
“No, he is still an ugly son of a bitch. Do you like the dandelion collection over there?”
“It’s beautiful. I wish I had some in my house, but our house is too small and we don’t have a garden.”
“You can take one from here. Come with me.”
Saber moved toward the garden and I followed him. He plucked a dandelion and handed it to me. It was my first time holding one. I was staring at the delicate dandelion when Saber came close and blew right into it making it vanish into thin air. I was still trying to figure out what had happened when I heard a giggle.
“You are a meanie,” I told him.
“Am I?”
His eyes shone like a polished apple. He snatched the stem out of my hand and flicked it. It fell on the ground.
“Dandelions are far too delicate. They are just an illusion. They look real but they never last. Here.” He plucked a red rose and gave it to me. “Take this instead. Red roses are far more resilient.”
 
Definitely an interesting story here! I want to find out what happens next...
 
Purchase Links:

 

Thanks again for visiting us on the MLB blog, Vivienne, and telling us about your writing journey and letting us know all about Dandelions!  :)
 
http://bookgoodies.com/a/B01IG97RCU
 

Author Bio  
 

Vivienne Vincent grew up in a fairly conservative environment which ironically sparked her interest in unconventional subjects and romance novels. As a young girl she became interested in novels from the Victorian era as well as modern day romance. She is pretty much obsessed with British and American sitcoms and crime series. Look her up on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with her. She loves to hear from readers.

Author Links:


Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/Vivienne-Vincent-850442295083956/

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/VivienneVincen8

Amazon Author Page:  http://amzn.to/2abR73V

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/57734728-vivienne-vincent

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15486427.Vivienne_Vincent 

Publisher:  http://solsticepublishing.com/vivienne-vincent/


 

Vivienne's Book:  


http://bookgoodies.com/a/B01IG97RCU

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking a Break from MLB

Yes, readers, that's right. I'm on hiatus for a while. I know I haven't posted for a bit, and that's really the reason why I...